The average VPS price is $10 for a yearly or multi-year subscription. However, you should expect to pay as high as $20 (and even more) if you intend to pay monthly.
The exact VPS server price depends on the provider you choose, the resources you need, and the length of your hosting plan.
Most providers allow you to sign up for a monthly plan, with a few offering hourly VPS pricing. However, you should go for a 12-month plan or longer to save on VPS costs.
Thankfully, the host providers in this article offer a money-back guarantee or free trials. So you can use the service for a short period to help you decide if it is worth the price or not.
In most cases, the best provider may not be the one with the VPS best price. It is the one that caters to your hosting needs.
VPS Pricing Table – Top 20 VPS Hosting Services For 2022
|Our Ranking||Host||Cheapest Monthly Price||Length of Plan||Monthly Saving||Pay Monthly Price||Money-back Guarantee||Website|
|#1||Cloudways||$6||Monthly||40%||$13.20||3 days||Visita Cloudways|
|#3||A2 Hosting||$4.99||3 year||44%||$8.99||30 Days||A2 Hosting|
|#4||Ultahost||$5.50||Monthly||25%||$16.50||30 Days||Visita Ultahost|
|#6||Scala Hosting||$14.95||Monthly||53%||$31.95||30 Days||ScalaHosting|
|#9||GoDaddy||$5.50||3 years||37%||$5.50||X||Visita GoDaddy|
|#11||Inmotion||$19.99||3 years||67%||$59.99||90 Days||Inmotion|
|#12||DreamHost||$10||3 years||33%||$15||97 Days||DreamHost|
|#16||Chemicloud||$63.96||2 Years||20%||$79.95||15 Days||ChemiCloud|
|#18||Time4VPS||$26.15||1 Year||50%||$52.29||30 Days||Time4VPS|
Factors Affecting the Cost of a VPS
VPS pricing depends on several factors, such as the type of VPS you want, the plans your provider offers, and the resources you need. Understanding these factors will help you compare multiple providers and plans to determine which VPS server price gives you the best value for your investment.
Managed vs. Unmanaged Virtual Private Servers
Managed VPS costs more than unmanaged VPS. The extra cost covers technical support and services you get from your provider. They handle server administration and maintenance to ensure your server runs smoothly.
Some of the administrative tasks include running security audits and installing updates.
Unmanaged VPS hosting seems a better alternative due to its low VPS pricing; however, it may cost you more in the long term. If you do not have the time and experience to manage your server, you may have to pay a professional to do it for you.
For our Best Managed VPS page click here.
Regardless of your VPS price, you don’t want to pay for services you don’t need. On the other hand, many cheap plans might not provide enough resources, forcing you to pay extra for add-ons.
Before you sign up for a plan, you need to look beyond the VPS pricing system to the features and limitations of each plan. The cheapest plans come with limited features and generally lack essential areas such as scalability services and customer support.
Some VPS hosts, such as Kamatera, allow users to configure their plan and VPS pricing. Customizable plans are a great option if you know what you need. If you don’t, you might want to go for mid-range plans offering enough resources to cover your potential needs.
For our Best Cheap VPS page click here.
Bandwidth, Data Transfer, and Storage
Bandwidth and data transfer can quickly increase your VPS price. So if you are going for a plan with unlimited or unmetered bandwidth and data transfer, you should expect to pay more. The good news is that you won’t have to pay excess charges as there are no limits to exceed.
Those who experience traffic fluctuations may be better off with reasonable limits and paying the extra charges when they exceed their bandwidth and data transfer limitations.
The type of storage included in your plan also influences VPS pricing. There are two types of server storage: solid-state drives (SSDs) and hard disk drives (HDDs).
HDD storage is less expensive but also less reliable and performs slower.
SSD storage is faster, more reliable, and can increase your website speed and performance. However, it is more expensive.
Some hosting providers offer both storage types, while others only provide SSD storage.
Data Center location
Your server hardware’s location will also influence your VPS price. Generally, server locations in populated areas like Los Angeles and New York City will be less expensive than those in less populated areas.
Sometimes you have to go to an expensive data center location. For instance, if the bulk of your target audience is in the UK, you want a data center located in the UK or close for optimal performance.
However, proximity should not be your only metric. You should check the data center’s performance to see if they are worth the VPS price. You may go for better-performing data center locations or switch to another hosting provider if they aren’t.
Generally speaking, a provider that offers more data center locations will charge more than a service that provides few data locations.
Your operating system
One of the first decisions you should make before signing up for a VPS hosting plan is your preferred operating system (OS) for your servers. Most VPS hosts provide both Linux-based and Windows-based servers.
Linux-based servers are very popular and are the only option some providers offer. They are affordable because the underlying software (Linux) is a free and open-source program.
Windows-based servers are costly since the providers must pay licensing fees to use the Windows OS.
Each operating system has pros and cons, so you should consider your needs before making your final decision.
Unique Fact: Most unreliable VPS providers try to use low prices to grab customers’ attention. However, VPS cost isn’t everything. You should ensure your plan provides all the resources you need in the right amount, and the costs are upfront and transparent.
Extra VPS Hosting Costs to Consider
Buying a VPS hosting plan is like renting an office space for your business. It’s an important step, but there are other things you need to set up shop and begin operations fully. Unless you have a big budget, consider these extra costs before settling on a VPS plan.
Domain Name Registration
Typically costs $10 to $20/year
Your domain name helps market your brand and makes it easier for people to find you online. No two domains are the same. They may look alike, such as lookalike.com and lookalike.net. For these two, the difference is in their domain name extension.
The cost of domain name registration depends on the following:
- Domain registrar: Some domain registrars offer only domain name registrations, while others provide web hosting services. You should only consider registrars accredited by ICANN.
- Domain name extension: There are two parts to a website domain name: the domain name and the domain extension. The website name can be anything that suits your business, as long as it hasn’t been taken. For domain extensions, you can choose from over 1,500 domain extensions. Domain name registration cost differs greatly based on your preferred extension. For instance, a domain name with the .com extension can cost $10/year, while the same domain name with the .xyz extension may cost roughly $1/year.
- Domain privacy protection: When registering a domain, you must enter your business and personal information. WHOIS stores that information on their public WHOIS database. To protect your information, you should purchase domain privacy protection. We recommend this protection to protect your personal information from spammers, cybercriminals, and other malicious actors.
Office 365 or G Suite?
Typically costs $6 to $12 a month
Office 365 (now Microsoft 365) and G Suite (now known as Google Workspace) are business productivity tools that allow you to perform business tasks in the cloud from your web browser. They offer tools for communication, scheduling, file sharing, document creation, and team collaboration. Your choice depends on your needs and budget.
- Google Workspace has a fairly straightforward pricing system. They have three main plans: Business starter plan ($6/user/month), business-standard ($12/user/month) and business plus ($18/user/month). They also have an enterprise price that provides customizable services at custom pricing. Each plan limits storage space, user accounts, video call participants, and security and searching features. Google Workspace also offers a 14-day trial period.
- Microsoft 365 has a lot of plans such as home, business, enterprise, government, non-profit, and education plans. Although these offer greater flexibility, you can get a headache figuring out which plan meets your needs at the best price. Let’s consider the Business and Enterprise price plans. The Microsoft Business plans start at $6 per user per month and go up to $22.00 per user per month. The Enterprise plans start from $10 per user per month to $38 per user per month.
Typically costs $5 to $1000.
An SSL certificate is a digital file that provides SSL/TLS encryption. SSL means Secure Sockets Layer, while TLS means Transport Layer Security. They both refer to the standard protocol for authenticating a website and enabling encrypted connections.
There are many SSL certificates, each with its unit price range:
- Single domain SSL certificates offer authentication and encrypted data sharing for a single domain and its subdomains, such as website.com and website.com/about. You can get these SSL certificates for as low as $5/year or free from your web hosting providers.
- Wildcard SSL certificates are for domains and first-level subdomains such as website.com, app.website.com, blog.website.com, and so on. This type of SSL certificate typically starts from $30/year.
- Multi-domain SSL certificate protects multiple domains, first-level subdomains, and other subdomains. Pricing for this type of SSL certificate starts from $60/year.
- Domain validation is for websites that don’t require visitors’ details. It costs around $70 a year.
- Organization validation is for a business that needs a high level of authenticity but does not require visitors to enter sensitive data like payment information. This type of certificate starts from $150 yearly.
- Extended validation certificates are for organizations that want the highest trust and authentication. It starts from $200 a year and can cost as much as $1000 per year.
From our VPS pricing comparison, you should know VPS pricing. However, this article focuses mainly on pricing the best VPS hosting providers and factors that may affect cost. If you want a detailed summary of each feature along with the pros and cons, you should check out Our Best VPS Hosting Page. Our in-house web hosting expert tested all the hosting providers to find the cutting-edge advantages and any chink in their armor.
Kamatera is at the top of our list due to its competitive pricing and other features. Of course, what works for us might not be the best for you. The only way to tell is by testing them out.
All the providers listed in the article provide a money-back guarantee. So you can sign up on the platform and test the features for up to a month.
However, it is hard to go wrong with any hosting providers mentioned on this page.